- Nickname: I go by "Brewer" as "Matt" is a nearly useless identifier
- Email: "mbrewer" at this domain
Mailing Address: 340 S LEMON AVE #5604
WALNUT, CA 91789
- Cellphone: 478-2BREWER (478-227-3937)
- Callsign: KB1PMC
- XMPP: "mbrewer" at this domain
- IRC: I normally hang out on irc.freenode.net
- PGP root fingerprint: 0C96 22BE 0CDC 2F91 9419 0C9B 068A 1FC0 6E69 A031
- PGP fingerprint: 7C24 3455 C4C2 8DC1 5013 5515 B1E6 966B 5187 2011
- Wilderness First Responder
- Technical Rope Rescue, Technician
- Swiftwater Rescue, Advanced
- HAM radio operator, Technician
- Member of California Explorer Search And Rescue (CalESAR)
- Bacholors in CS from Carnegie Mellon University
- 1500 miles on the AT in 2009
- Through-hike of JMT summer 2012
- Been to the Wintercount gathering every year since 2011
- And you know... I live outside and spend all my time hiking etc.
- 4 Summers at UMASS working on mobile robot systems
- 1 Summer at the National Robotics Engineering Center testing Flash Lidar for use on mobile robotics
- 1 Summer at the Parallel Data Lab (CMU) working on the Self-* distributed filesystem
- 2 semesters TA for physics (also involving teaching python) at CMU
- 2 semesters TA for 15-410 (writing a kernel from scratch) at CMU
- Site Reliability Engineer at Google for 5 years, Tech Lead, level T5 (Senior Engineer)
My approximate current whereaboutsIt seems that the recent changes to latitude have gotten rid of this feature :(.. If anyone knows how to get it back, give me a ring
My approximate whereabouts in the near future
- See my (and my best friend Jess') blog for what I spend much of my time doing. It's focused primarilly on outdoors, bushcraft, and homesteading stuff, but other things creep in occasionally.
- Backpacking and bushcraft: Hiking thousands of miles, bushwhacking, carrying minimal gear, starting fires with a fire drill, sleeping under the stars, tanning hides, throwing sling, archery, etc.
- Homesteading knowledge: How to *do* things. This is an extension of the bushcraft interests into slightly higher technology. I'd love to learn to work with horses, and I love old farm machinery, how to rotate crops, how to use pigs as plows, etc.
- Instruments: guitar and vocals, both of many styles. I also dabble in bamboo flute and penny whistle. Check out some tabs here .
- 4-wheeling and truck living: Why use a hotel when you have an offroad camper and can sleep deep on a backroad for free! I've got a highlift on the roof and tools in the back, and am slowly learning how to repair it.
- Rock climbing: I'm certified in Technical Rope Rescue. I used to rock-climb indoors a regularly. I've got the beginnings of trad gear. I'd love to do outdoor climbing more.
- Other sports I enjoy and am okay at: spelunking, whitewater kayaking, canoeing, snowboarding, skiing, ultimate frisbee, parkour, sailing, running, mountain biking, street biking.
- Sports I want to learn: Most things, some specific examples though, sailing, sailboarding, sea kayaking, surfing, free-diving, car racing.
- Computer stuff: Writing quick code, admin'ing my own systems, designing new and better kernels , systems, and programming languages , exploring anonymity and security (what if the government were after you?). Most recently I'm playing with how I can mix computer and primitive tech to try and get the best parts of both.
- Puzzle solving: MIT mystery hunt and that sort of thing
- Other activities: urban exploration, clubbing (baby seals?), gaming, "making", wandering, climbing trees, reading, or... you know, whatever :P.
What am I doing with my life?
See my blog .