- Nickname: I go by "Brewer" as "Matt" is a nearly useless identifier
- Email: mbrewer at smalladventures dot net
- Mailing Address: 388 wilbraham rd, hampden MA, 01036
- Cellphone: 478-2BREWER (478-227-3937)
- Callsign: KB1PMC
- XMPP: mbrewer at smalladventures dot net
- IRC: I normally hang out on irc.freenode.net id mbrewer
What am I doing with my life?
- In may I'm going to embark on an adventure. I'm quiting my job, losing the apartment, and I'm going to travel around and live out of my truck for while. I want to spend time really locking down some of the hard-skills of bushcraft. I'll also be taking classes and sharing knowledge as much as I can. If you happen to know of "job'ish" things that would let me continue down that path, let me know
- I'm extremely interested in learning to live with the environment. I want to understand how (technical and non-technical) the Native Americans and others related to the environment, and figure out how to bring some of that relationship (neither protectionism, nor consumerism) into the modern day. If you don't get this paragraph and are curious, try reading Tending the Wild by Cat Anderson.
- See my (and my best friend and S.O. Jess') blog for what I spend much of my time doing. It's focused primarilly on outdoors, bushcraft, and homesteading stuff, but other things creep in occasionally.
- Backpacking and bushcraft: Hiking thousands of miles, bushwhacking, carrying minimal gear, starting fires with a fire drill, sleeping under the stars, tanning hides, throwing sling, archery, etc.
- Homesteading knowledge: How to *do* things. This is an extension of the bushcraft interests into slightly higher technology. I'd love to learn to work with horses, and I love old farm machinery, how to rotate crops, how to use pigs as plows, etc.
- Search and Rescue: More recently I've joined up with California Explorer Search and Rescue (CalESAR). This is a volunteer mutual aid search and rescue team in California. So think rope skills, navigation, litter carrying, etc.
- Instruments: guitar and vocals, both of many styles. I also dabble in penny whistle. Check out some tabs here .
- 4-wheeling and truck living: Very soon I will be living in my truck. I did the lift and built the sleeping platform myself. I've got a highlift on the roof and tools in the back, and am slowly learning how to repair it.
- Other sports I enjoy and am okay at: spelunking, whitewater kayaking, canoeing, archery, skiing, ultimate frisbee, parkour, sailing, running, mountain biking, street biking, rock climbing, sailing.
- Official computer stuff: I went to CMU for CS, and worked at Google as an SRE for 5 years. My specialties are: Large scale system design, Low level systems and kernels, Programming language theory, Complexity theory, System administration, Monitoring and production hygene. I also have a HAM radio lisence.
- Unofficial computer stuff: Every computer I own is a rooted linux device. My kindle has ssh. I use my phone as a GPS, a reader, a tree guide, a camera, and a hundred other uses, almost never using a cell-plan at all and charge it off solar. Here's a few other projects: designing new and better kernels, and programming languages, exploring anonymity and security (what if the government were after you?).
- Puzzle solving: MIT mystery hunt and that sort of thing
Who I am
My name is Matthew Brewer, and I live in a hollow tree... wait,
that's a children's book.
Last modified Sat May 4 06:50:37 2013 UTC